1. What is the Sabbath?
It is one day of the week, which God requires to be kept as a day of rest, and holy to Him.
2. What day of the week did the Jews observe?
The seventh, which we commonly call Saturday.
3. What day do Christians keep?
The first day of the week or Sunday.
4. Why do Christians keep Sunday as the Sabbath?
Because it was on that day of the week that Christ rose from the dead.
5. What name is given to it on this account?
The Lord’s Day.
6. Did the Apostles and the Christians of their day observe the first day of the week?
They did, and that is our authority for observing the first instead of the seventh day.
7. What truth was the Sabbath appointed to commemorate?
The completion of God’s work of Creation.
8. What additional truth does the Christian Sabbath teach?
The triumphant completion of the still more glorious work of Redemption.
(A Brief Catechism of BIBLE DOCTRINE by JAMES P. BOYCE, D. D. Professor of Systematic and Polemic Theology; The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary)